Tuesday, March 8, 2011

That's Soo...Postcards From

Hello all of you wonderful people! Today I bring to you the first edition of a new monthly feature that will be happening here at Rhitbee-isms entitled "That's Soo...". It's a funny name, I know, but I thought it best described the nature of what I want this feature to be! It is inspired by those instances in which we go shopping with friends or family and they pick out and hold up an item and say "you have to get this - it is SOO YOU!" As if there is something about the item in itself that oozes your personality and style to them. In this feature I want to explore this phenomena and the idea of signature style. It's fun to explore on your own but it's even more fun to explore with friends so I thought we could learn more by getting some of my very favourite fashion bloggers to answer some questions on the topic!

I thought who better than Kate of Postcards From to start the feature off! Her blog is a must-read and she is a source of endless inspiration with her gorgeous outfit photos and wonderfully written and thoughtful posts. She was kind enough to answer some questions I had about the idea of signature style. So without further ado:

Photobucket

Photobucket

What are some of the types of items people tend to think are 'sooo Kate'? Has anyone ever been way off?

What a fun question! I cant tell you how many times I have had friends or people who hardly even know me tell me "I was shopping today, and everything just screamed 'Kate!!' - and I am always wondering 'What does that even mean?!" I think one of my signature items is tights. You will find me wearing tights 95% of the year, and that is definately a "sooo Kate" item. Usually items that people tell me remind them of me are filled with floral patterns, leather, velvet, and anything that looks like it is from a different era. About two years ago a girl bought me a dress as a gift that she said 'suited me perfectly' as soon as I opened it I laughed so hard with her saying "What were you thinking?!" it was skin tight, super revealing, and bright yellow! I couldnt think of an item more unlike Kate than that!

Photobucket
Do you think you have a signature style? If so, what are some features of it?

I definitely think that I have a signature style! My blog readers can usually tell when I wear something on my blog that isnt very 'Kate'. I think my signature pieces would obviously be tights, dresses, vintage boots, and unique accessories whether they be hair pieces, necklaces, rings, etc.
Photobucket
Have you had different styles over the years? That is, what was 'sooo Kate' in years past?

Hehe, this is a question I am almost embarassed to answer! I grew up wearing my moms clothes and shoes to elementry school because I wanted to be a grown up so incredibly badly. In Highschool I went through a few different stages which I dont usually share, but I will give you a bit of a sneak peak into my humiliating moments. Grade 9 I became obsessed with basketball and spice girl inspired platforms. I would wear jerseys and big block heels to school every single day. My personal style truly developed in Grade 11. I started to not care about what people thought of me, and wore what made me happy. I grew a love for vintage dresses and floral and it just sort of stuck since then!
Photobucket
Lastly, if you could pick one person who you thought really had a signature and 'sooo them' style who would it be and why?

I would say Audrey Hepburn. She is my idol and I am utterly fascinated by her. Every outfit she wore I always think "That is SO Audrey" She got it perfect every single time. She had this incredible gift to make every look of hers classy, glamorous, and still a bit mysterious. Shes an absolute fashion genius!
Photobucket

Thanks Kate for your awesome answers and thank you guys for reading! I advise you all to check out her blog if you haven't already. Have you guys had experiences with friends, family, or readers picking up on your signature style? Ever had people get it totally wrong?

xo Robyn

9 comments:

  1. Best. Feature. Ever! I love the idea of it- and Kate was such a perfect choice! :D

    Alyssa

    ps. The video in your last post was hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute- I adore Kate and her style!!

    Charlotte xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome idea Robyn!!! Kate was a great choice too. She definitely has a definitive style, & i loved her answers!

    In answer to your question, yes! My cousin stopped and looked at me the other day and was just like. "Yeah, so.. You dress really retro all the time." I was like "Yeah, DUH! Where have you beeen?!!" haha I haven't had people get my style wrong so much, except my Grandma got me this vintage REAL CROCODILE purse that still has THE HEAD ON IT, and even though it's sort of cool, it's way more terrifying. I haven't been able to use it.... hehe She normally gets great stuff, but that time was just a lil too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had some real knock-em-out-of-the-park gifts from my family. There's a scarf I kept looking at at Urban Outfitters but continually decided not to buy, and then without saying a word about it to my mom, she somehow bought it for me Christmas morning.

    On the other hand, I've also been bought a bunch of really awful accessories from my friends, including a clutch bag covered in fake snakeskin (I loathe animal prints of any kind) and hoop earrings coated in fuschia sequins. This was about five years ago, when I wouldn't have touched sequins with a 20-foot pole. Heck, even now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, this is such a cute feature! I love the creative questions and answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie is so cute! Love her style :)
    xoxo from Hannie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Robyn, this is such a good idea! And great choice in Kate, I love her style. I have people tell me that something is sooo me all the time, and it's usually floral, flowy pieces! Ha, go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! What a wonderful way to feature and get to know other bloggers. I love Kate's blog and her style. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the comment!
I love hearing from you guys.